Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Inspiration & Buttons!













I've been busy sculpting my cousin's angel. It's been a real process; one in which the sculpture is making itself, it seems. I start out with an expectation of how it's going to look and it decides differently. I had this idea for a seated angel, that would be first sculpted with paper clay and wire starting with the head first. It was nearly impossible to felt around the paper clay. So I had to scrap that idea. Next, I started with a wire form and started felting and before you know it my seated angel became a standing angel. He began to remind of one of my very favorite paintings, Marc Chagall's Juggler. I was both frightened and fascinated with that painting when I first saw a picture of it in my Childcraft encyclopedia. I think I was about 4 years old. I remember as a kid pounding out some horribly loud bass piano music as my ode to that bird man. And here some 50 years later the juggler seems to pop up in my angel. Lol. Hopefully, I will get his feet done today and will be starting on his head. Let's hope it doesn't decide to be a bird head. I don't think that's what my cousin had in mind.

I, also, wanted to share with you a recent thrift store find. Buttons! I bought 4 very big bags of assorted buttons for $6.00. I love the shapes, textures and colors. I could just spend hours sorting through them.

7 comments:

Helen Priem said... [Reply]

Robin, the angel looks already amazing, good body !
The Autumn-look on your Blog is nice !

Robin Andreae said... [Reply]

Thanks, Helen!

Catherine said... [Reply]

The body looks perfect! I look forward to seeing the angel finished.

I LOVE buttons I have collected antique metal one for years. Have a look at these buttons...Good enough to eat! http://www.etsy.com/listing/70510267/peppermint-candy-buttons-50

Robin Andreae said... [Reply]

I passed up a big bag of metal ones. I didn't want to be greedy. If I'd known you collected I would've picked them up for you, Catherine.
Those buttons do look yummy. I thought they were real at first.

DollZandThingZ said... [Reply]

Your sculpture is excellent! As for the buttons, you really had very good luck--what a buy!

Robin Andreae said... [Reply]

Thanks, Helen :-)

Kikka N said... [Reply]

Hi Robin! Your angel looks Glorious already, and yes I can see the connection to the painting you mentioned!

Love the buttons also!