Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Durer's Little Owl

Durer is again the inspiration for this piece. It's of his drawing entitled "Little Owl". It has been a favorite piece ever since I first saw it as child in a book. I had some fun trying to find the species of owl in the drawing. I finally decided that it was most likely a tawny owl. Although, I would hardly think of them as little. The only little dark eyed owl that I could think of was the Flammulated owl. But it has ear tufts and is from North America, not Europe. And the European species known as the Little Owl has yellow eyes. This little guy stands at 6 1/2 inches tall and has German glass eyes. I did something a bit different with his feet. I wanted them to feel a bit fleshy. So, I mixed my Sculpey molding media with some Premo. They both bake at the same temperature and time. Then, I flocked them with finely chopped alpaca wool. I like how they turned out. But because they're so rubbery, he has a hard time standing. I think next time, I would use a thicker gauge of wire. He does stand on his own but it would be best if he had something to lean on. I hope you all like him. It seems I'm kind of on a Durer kick and am thinking of felting his squirrel pair. Although, I'd change the eye size a bit as they seem a bit too small.

13 comments:

Fiver said... [Reply]

WOW!!!! Robin he's gorgeous!!! I LOVE him!!!

Helen Priem said... [Reply]

Myyyy Goodness he is fantastic!! and again I recognized him as a Dürer!
Your feet ( the owls's) are the best!!

Hanni said... [Reply]

This is the cutest little thing!

Olga Ю said... [Reply]

Beautiful work! Love)))

EnjiB said... [Reply]

He's wonderful ! What a nice little owl ! And yes, I'm experimenting the problems of standing with a little rabbit http://dessinchat.blogspot.com/2011/04/une-rose-pour-toi-pam-et-laine-feutree.html Th shot was very difficult to take ! :)
Thanks for sharing ...

Kikka N said... [Reply]

He is sooo fantastic!
And I also admire Dürer, if you mean the artist...

Josje said... [Reply]

Oooh he is gorgeous! I love his feet, so well done!

MALINIK said... [Reply]

Beautiful, good job!
Ina

Kelly said... [Reply]

Love the owl, he is beautiful! Got my second baby robin in the mail today, he is beyond cute and I loved that you put him in that egg, what a great surprise!! Everyone needs to own one of your baby birds, they're exquisite!

thank you!! :)

Barby Anderson said... [Reply]

Oh Robin he is lovely! You did a wonderful job on him! Bravo girl!

Unknown said... [Reply]

Wow! Amazing!

Robin Andreae said... [Reply]

Thanks again, everyone :0)
I'm glad you meant the birds feet and not mine, Helen. Mine are more like duck feet, reall wide in the front and narrow in the back. My sister used to call my shoes barges.

I just checked your blog, Nicole. Your little bunny is very sweet. I know what you mean about getting these little two legged ones to stand.

Kikka, Durer, the artist, is one of my favorites. My parents bought us some Childcraft encyclopedias when I was a child. My favorite one was the art book. It introduced me to Chagall's "Juggler", Durer's "Little Owl", Picaso's L"Child with Dove" and many more works. I think that's where my love for art grew.

Kelly, I'm so happy your baby robin arrived safely. Thank you so much for the compliment on my baby birds, too.

Windward Away said... [Reply]

Here's a waaay late comment on this one. I happened to come across this little owl while Googling Dürer's artwork, and I've got to say, I don't regret it at all! I've been poring through your blog, and it's all really inspiring.